Why does workers' comp want you to resign to get a C&R (Compromise & Release)?

This video reviews why workers' comp insurance companies often want you to resign before settling with a C&R. If you are an injured worker with a California injury, and don’t have an attorney, this video is intended to help provide an overview of workers’ compensation topics so you can better represent yourself.

Workers' comp cases in California can either go to Trial, or settle informally with Stipulations with Request for Award or a Compromise and Release. Generally, under either Stipulations or a F&A following Trial, there is open medical care. Under a C&R, the insurance company generally pays an injured worker a lump sum to close out future medical care, so any future medical treatment is the responsibility of the worker and not workers' comp. However, many insurance companies want the employee to resign before entering into a C&R, and this video covers why they want that and why their exposure can remain open if you keep working for the employer.

Jeremy Lusk is a certified specialist in workers’ compensation with almost two decades of experience, and previously served as a Judge at the Fresno District Office of the WCAB. He has worked out of Fresno, but appeared at numerous Boards to represent both injured workers and employers/carriers.

No attorney/client relationship is created or implied by this video. This video is not offering legal advice as to what you should, or should not, do in your workers’ compensation case, but rather offers education/information as to the California workers’ compensation system for unrepresented workers so they can better represent themselves and make more informed decisions.

If you have any questions, let us know at [email protected]
Be the first to comment