Two Ways to Settle A California Workers' Compensation Claim - Compromise & Release is Most Co...

There are two ways to settle your California workers' compensation claim. https://www.napolinlaw.com/workers-compensation-claims-settled-california/

The first way is by Compromise & Release (C&R). This is usually a full and final release of all benefits and claims in exchange for a lump-sum of money. It means that the injured worker gives up all of their rights to future benefits in exchange for a one-time payout. Larger payouts could utilize a structured settlement investment instrument and be paid out over time.

If the parties cannot agree upon a lump-sum settlement in exchange for a full release, then the employee is paid payments for any permanent loss of function and is provisioned with future medical care paid for through their employer. This type of settlement is most common for employees who are not displaced from their job or continue to work with their employer after they have recovered from their injury.

A stipulated award can be reopened for new and further disability within 5 years of the original date of injury. If it's been longer than 5 years, the injured workers should consider filing for a new Cumulative Trauma (CT) period of injury.

For information on how much you are entitled to under a workers' compensation claim in California, check out California Workers Comp Benefits Explained (https://www.napolinlaw.com/practice-areas/workers-compensation/workers-comp-benefits-explained/)

Call 866-NAPOLIN for a free consultation.
Be the first to comment