How do I get a new treating physician (PTP) for my workers' comp case?

This video reviews what to go about getting a new PTP for your workers' comp case. If you are an injured worker with a California injury, and don’t have an attorney, this video is intended to help provide an overview of workers’ compensation topics so you can better represent yourself.

Nearly all injured workers will start their case by seeing a doctor chosen by the employer or insurance company. That is the way the system works. However, many injured workers stay with that initial doctor, no matter how much they may dislike the doctor. Whether they think it's too much work to select a new PTP, or whether they think it will take too long, or whether they simply do not know they can select a PTP on their own, many injured workers stick with that initial doctor when they'd rather not. This video goes through getting the MPN information, looking for a new PTP, using the Medical Access Assistant, and then designating a new treating doctor.

Jeremy Lusk is a certified specialist in workers’ compensation with almost two decades of experience, and previously served as a Judge at the Fresno District Office of the WCAB. He has worked out of Fresno, but appeared at numerous Boards to represent both injured workers and employers/carriers.

No attorney/client relationship is created or implied by this video. This video is not offering legal advice as to what you should, or should not, do in your workers’ compensation case, but rather offers education/information as to the California workers’ compensation system for unrepresented workers so they can better represent themselves and make more informed decisions.

If you have any questions, let us know at [email protected]
Be the first to comment